1. Did you date someone from your school?
Hmm, date? At the time I wouldn't have considered it dating but David Mannlein and I were enemies our sophmore year and best friends our senior year. It wasn't until after high school that anything romantic evolved. When he stopped tormenting me he left me notes in my locker, desks and car and we spoke on the phone every weekend after my dates with other boys not from my high school.
2. What kind of car did you drive?
A little creme Toyota pickup that only had the two Os left on the tailgate, for a while a red rusty colored pickup with a camper- that came in handy for transporting all my books and Michael's (brother) friends, and I think my junior year I drove my parent's van to transport Michael and Ivy and my cousin Mandy. Of course we were always giving someone a ride home. I think that my parents were grateful to have someone else become chauffer for a while. It was a bummer when I had my license suspended for 2 months.
A little creme Toyota pickup that only had the two Os left on the tailgate, for a while a red rusty colored pickup with a camper- that came in handy for transporting all my books and Michael's (brother) friends, and I think my junior year I drove my parent's van to transport Michael and Ivy and my cousin Mandy. Of course we were always giving someone a ride home. I think that my parents were grateful to have someone else become chauffer for a while. It was a bummer when I had my license suspended for 2 months.
3. Were you a party animal?
No, but among the right crowds some may remember me to be the life of their party. I think I marched to my won drum and usually could talk someone into creating little parties along the way.
4. Were you considered a flirt? No, but among the right crowds some may remember me to be the life of their party. I think I marched to my won drum and usually could talk someone into creating little parties along the way.
No. No further comment. Really, I don't think so, but who knows what some people thought.
5. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?
I was in band all four years- marching, concert and pep (but they couldn't talk me into Jazz, though I still came to class to listen). I also TAed for the beginning band class so I would have a time where I could learn more instruments and go my homework. I played the clarinet, bass clarinet, french horn, euphonium, trombone, and bassoon. The french horn didn't last too long and I loved the last three. I would love to still play them, but the instruments belonged to the school. At one point I thought I might go to college on scholarship playing the bassoon. I never missed any football or basketball games or granduations.
I was in band all four years- marching, concert and pep (but they couldn't talk me into Jazz, though I still came to class to listen). I also TAed for the beginning band class so I would have a time where I could learn more instruments and go my homework. I played the clarinet, bass clarinet, french horn, euphonium, trombone, and bassoon. The french horn didn't last too long and I loved the last three. I would love to still play them, but the instruments belonged to the school. At one point I thought I might go to college on scholarship playing the bassoon. I never missed any football or basketball games or granduations.
6. Were you a nerd?
My little sister may have considered me a nerd, I think she still does sometimes. I believe you are what you let other people label you to be. I fit in well with many groups on campus including the nerds. Be it the band nerds or the AP nerds or the outcast nerds.
My little sister may have considered me a nerd, I think she still does sometimes. I believe you are what you let other people label you to be. I fit in well with many groups on campus including the nerds. Be it the band nerds or the AP nerds or the outcast nerds.
7. Were you on any varsity teams?
Yes. I ran varsity cross country, played varsity soccer and swam varsity (track and field didn't last more than a season because it coincided with swimming). I still don't know why I ran. I did not like to run. (still don't) Maybe because Jonathan (brother) did when I was a freshman and he was a senior, and maybe because I could be in varsity that same year. Maybe to keep me in shape for the rest of the year, but it was because of the long distance running that they recruited me for soccer which I had never played before then. It might have been because being the only gringa I stuck out and so was named the team captain. It definately wasn't because of my soccer skills. Very fun though. I've always loved swimming! Who wouldn't? I would have loved to compete in the Olypics but I lack the competitivness, drive and skills. I have always been ok with a little above average.
Yes. I ran varsity cross country, played varsity soccer and swam varsity (track and field didn't last more than a season because it coincided with swimming). I still don't know why I ran. I did not like to run. (still don't) Maybe because Jonathan (brother) did when I was a freshman and he was a senior, and maybe because I could be in varsity that same year. Maybe to keep me in shape for the rest of the year, but it was because of the long distance running that they recruited me for soccer which I had never played before then. It might have been because being the only gringa I stuck out and so was named the team captain. It definately wasn't because of my soccer skills. Very fun though. I've always loved swimming! Who wouldn't? I would have loved to compete in the Olypics but I lack the competitivness, drive and skills. I have always been ok with a little above average.
8. Did you get suspended/expelled?
Never. I was an honor roll, teacher's pet, and priviledged to go off campus for lunch student.
Never. I was an honor roll, teacher's pet, and priviledged to go off campus for lunch student.
9. Can you still sing the fight song?
Never could, come to think of it I was always playing it so I never did know the words. Maybe I could humm some of it. Or maybe that is some other school's like Fresno State.
Never could, come to think of it I was always playing it so I never did know the words. Maybe I could humm some of it. Or maybe that is some other school's like Fresno State.
10. Who were your favorite teachers?
Some memorable ones: Mr. Cymanski- Band. Only a few years older than us asked me out my sophmore year and asked me to marry him at graduation. (He was turned down.) Probably why he gave me all As. Mr. Johnson- had him 4 times AP govt, AP Econ- summer school, Achedemic Decathalon and AP US history or maybe that was Mr. Wright? Mr. Castle, AP English jr. year, we could always get him to tell us stories so that we didn't have to work, like drinking someone's toenails with his coffee. He always had a cup. He could jump from standing still to the top of his desk, which he demonstrated often. He had several of us Hatch kids. Mrs. Wilson- freshman English, AP ENglish senior year, and Achedemic decathalon. She talked me into publishing my poetry. She really knew her stuff. I gave her a Book of Mormon and she asked me to house/dog sit for her. She used to wear this slinky yellow outfit that I am sure should have been against dress code. She looked like a banana. I guess I remember more about my teachers than I remembered. Mr Hushek- an all around really nice guy who was dissapointed that I didn't take AP Chemistry from and you thought I should further my education in chem because of natural talent. Funny, chem was my worse grade in college. (I got a D the first time I took it and a B the next) It was hard to be a Math teacher and get up on my fav list.
Some memorable ones: Mr. Cymanski- Band. Only a few years older than us asked me out my sophmore year and asked me to marry him at graduation. (He was turned down.) Probably why he gave me all As. Mr. Johnson- had him 4 times AP govt, AP Econ- summer school, Achedemic Decathalon and AP US history or maybe that was Mr. Wright? Mr. Castle, AP English jr. year, we could always get him to tell us stories so that we didn't have to work, like drinking someone's toenails with his coffee. He always had a cup. He could jump from standing still to the top of his desk, which he demonstrated often. He had several of us Hatch kids. Mrs. Wilson- freshman English, AP ENglish senior year, and Achedemic decathalon. She talked me into publishing my poetry. She really knew her stuff. I gave her a Book of Mormon and she asked me to house/dog sit for her. She used to wear this slinky yellow outfit that I am sure should have been against dress code. She looked like a banana. I guess I remember more about my teachers than I remembered. Mr Hushek- an all around really nice guy who was dissapointed that I didn't take AP Chemistry from and you thought I should further my education in chem because of natural talent. Funny, chem was my worse grade in college. (I got a D the first time I took it and a B the next) It was hard to be a Math teacher and get up on my fav list.
11. Where did you sit during lunch?
Mostly in the band room or just outside- I tutored there while I ate. We also went out to eat a lot later on. I usually didn't order anything but finished up a lot of essays at Wendy's. I did like to get fries and a jr frosty from time to time. We didn't go to Burger King much because a lady that worked there didn't like some of my more outspoken friends and she wore way too much blue eyeshadow.
Mostly in the band room or just outside- I tutored there while I ate. We also went out to eat a lot later on. I usually didn't order anything but finished up a lot of essays at Wendy's. I did like to get fries and a jr frosty from time to time. We didn't go to Burger King much because a lady that worked there didn't like some of my more outspoken friends and she wore way too much blue eyeshadow.
12. What was your school's full name?
Selma High School Go Bears! Can you believe that their colors are orange and black? It looked like Halloween every spirit day.
Selma High School Go Bears! Can you believe that their colors are orange and black? It looked like Halloween every spirit day.
13. School mascot?
Oops.. I guess I got a little excited and answered that one a little early. Who knew I would have so much fun commenting on high school. I fully understand if you stopped reading a while ago. It's good journal writing though. Thanks again Marie.
Oops.. I guess I got a little excited and answered that one a little early. Who knew I would have so much fun commenting on high school. I fully understand if you stopped reading a while ago. It's good journal writing though. Thanks again Marie.
14. If you could go back and do it again, would you?
Would I have to do it exactly like I did reliving it or could I do things differently? Either way I probably wouldn't. My most favorite things in life aren't in that picture and though I enjoyed it. Life just kept getting better and better after that.
Would I have to do it exactly like I did reliving it or could I do things differently? Either way I probably wouldn't. My most favorite things in life aren't in that picture and though I enjoyed it. Life just kept getting better and better after that.
15. What do you remember most about graduation?
Umm... it was long...especially practicing to walk correctly... we wore orange gowns (wanted to be different I guess-other years wore black)... Taylor (nephew) was a brand new baby and he came... We had to go through metal detectors...my friend David was banned from the ceremonies... didn't miss much.
Umm... it was long...especially practicing to walk correctly... we wore orange gowns (wanted to be different I guess-other years wore black)... Taylor (nephew) was a brand new baby and he came... We had to go through metal detectors...my friend David was banned from the ceremonies... didn't miss much.
16. Where did you go senior skip day?
I think they went up the mountains. I didn't go. Class was great that day! The rest of them really missed out.
I think they went up the mountains. I didn't go. Class was great that day! The rest of them really missed out.
17. Were you in any clubs?
I think I must have been. I would have to look in my yearbook to know which ones. We didn't do much in our clubs though. Band, AP, and Decathalon for sure.
I think I must have been. I would have to look in my yearbook to know which ones. We didn't do much in our clubs though. Band, AP, and Decathalon for sure.
18. Have you gained some weight since then?
Up until the birth of Miss Camilla I could say no, but I haven't lost the baby pounds yet so I am probably still 15 pounds heavier. I'm not sure cause right after coming home from the hospital I stood on our scale and broke it. Sounds funny now, but it wasn't then. I weighed 126 when I graduated.
Up until the birth of Miss Camilla I could say no, but I haven't lost the baby pounds yet so I am probably still 15 pounds heavier. I'm not sure cause right after coming home from the hospital I stood on our scale and broke it. Sounds funny now, but it wasn't then. I weighed 126 when I graduated.
19. Who was your prom date?
David William Mannlein. I had pretty grey dress- Natalia (neice) said I looked like Cinderella. Mom did my hair and through the night several people asked who did it. He borrowed his dad's truck, the actual prom was pretty blah- overpriced- they even ran out of food so my parent's cooked a nice dinner for us at home afterwards. I missed meeting Jonathan at the airport coming home from his mission. (He was supposed to have come home the day before) So, I snuck in his room to say hi- he was way out of it. That night I slept with my hair wrapped up in tissue paper so it would still look good for church the next day.
20.Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? David William Mannlein. I had pretty grey dress- Natalia (neice) said I looked like Cinderella. Mom did my hair and through the night several people asked who did it. He borrowed his dad's truck, the actual prom was pretty blah- overpriced- they even ran out of food so my parent's cooked a nice dinner for us at home afterwards. I missed meeting Jonathan at the airport coming home from his mission. (He was supposed to have come home the day before) So, I snuck in his room to say hi- he was way out of it. That night I slept with my hair wrapped up in tissue paper so it would still look good for church the next day.
No, I never planned on it. It has been ten years now. I'm not too interested, but living here so close I guess it could have been curious to see people.
Now I dutifully pass this tag on to all my sister in laws who read this cause I don't know this part of their life. Em, Jen, Crys, Karla, and Isa!
6 comments:
This was an interesting read and I learned a lot about you that I didn't know before. For example... how come we have never heard you wailing on the basson before.. this definatley needs to make an appearance at the next family get together.
If I only had one. It's been so long I probably don't have the chops for it anymore. :o(
Holy moly--I didn't know about 75% of that stuff! You've been holding out on me. :) You're amazing! License suspended... story please!
you didn't realize I was going to write a novel on this did ya Marie?
I feel like I just spent 4 years @ Selma High in 15 min. but I was a Panther from Washington Union.
Cami is gorgeous
Wow, I loved reading all that about you. I will do it on my blog as soon as I can. Pretty funny!
Post a Comment