Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sometimes we have to rethink the way we go about things

Recent events have caused me to to cast my mind's eye back a few years to Ricks college in the upstairs of the MC studying experiential education. What a fun class! One particular class we all sat in groups of 8 or so on the floor- ropes were placed before us creating circles. Our goal was to fit everyone in the circle "both feet". The circles kept getting smaller forcing us to get more and more creative in our grouping and piling on one another while still keeping both feet on the ground in the circle. Finally the circle was reduced once more and we puzzled and puzzled at the impossible task. Memory doesn't serve me well as to which group first realized that to accomplish our task all we had to have inside the circle was both feet and not necessarily any other part of our bodies. How easy it became to to fit our 16 feet inside the small rope circle when we all sat round outside it feet in. Why hadn't we seen this before? We continue to try to do things the same way we always have whether it be the best, easiest or smartest or whatever. So... why was I thinking of this?

...because I have just spent a long time figuring out how to type this silly post with my new "high maintenance" (according to my f.i.l.) nails. I feel all done up and pretty. Some people have seemed shocked as if this was the last thing they would ever imagine that I would do. Cami likes them and though it took some rethinking and adjusting I still wash dishes, change diapers, make dinner, quilt, weed my garden and type on the computer just as I always have. What am I trying to accomplish? Must I go through the motion of the same dance steps as everyone else to get there? Here's to taking a moment of reflection, of meditation, of a little spiritual pampering to reevaluate and rethink how we fit into our circles and which shoes we put on. Does any of tht makes sense? Maybe and maybe not , but I do like my hands an awful lot. Thanks Cori!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Pretty Wedding ring!!!! I like the nails too ! :) I updated your Blog to mine!! Love ya! Miss ya!

Julie said...

I appreciate your thoughts, I think I need to rethink my circles.

Catherine said...

I love you.