Friday, May 22, 2009
Harmony
Started 24 some odd years ago in Visalia- our group is an extended branch off out of Selma. We meet once a week for several hours while all the kiddies are playing together with babysitters. We are all about service, sisterhood and singing. There are two seasons- spring and Christmas, and we just finished off spring singing songs from the 60s such as Stop in the name of love, My guy, it's my party, it's in his kiss, and my boyfriend's back.
After we have perfected our performance (complete with hand motions, dancing, props and volunteer participation) we do a trial run for our families in a combined fhe dinner. We are mothers, expecting and empty nesters, grandmothers, wives, and sisters sharing a little fun while having fun.
If they approve we head off to the neighboring towns visiting hospitals, assisted living, schools and nursing homes twice a week sharing our three part harmony in uniform with snazzy letters on our shirts.
Of course everyone loves us, but it sure helps to have Camilla either crying in my arms or dancing and clapping out in front of us making the rounds visiting with the crowds. I hear they are disappointed when the group shows up without babies one season. (please note my very classy 60s hair do)
It went by fast and I am sad that it is over for now (though I may have complained slightly at first about the driving distance and time it took). It took me back to college days- Sunday evenings with sister Leishman and the nursing homes- our group growing in number singing hymns. It is so easy to get caught up in myself that I appreciate an opportunity to reach out and hungrily digest it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So fun!!! Wish I could be a part of something like that.
I loved the visits to Sister Leishmans. Love your hair Elisabeth and the shirts are awesome, That would be such a fun thing to be part of.
Post a Comment